Sunday, October 28, 2012

Kitchen Ninjas

Hoarder. Yes, it has a negative connotation but it can be a good thing. In my case, I used to be hoarder of kitchen gadgets and supplies. I've learned over the years that there are only certain things I reach for over and over and over again. They have helped me tremendously and cannot imagine a kitchen without them.  Please keep in mind, I have a tiny condo kitchen. I need every gadget to have multiple purposes since I'm lacking in space. To be honest, I never thought kitchen space was ever a factor when it comes to making great food. If you have the passion and greed for food, anything is possible in the happiest and the most delicious part of the home.  I'm also kind of feeling generous so I've included one of my standby meals when I'm in a rush but need something healthy and satisfying.

These are what you call hybrid knives. If you combine a chefs knife and a cleaver, you get santoku knives.  Amazing. Cutting vegetables is such a breeze and what I love the most about it is that because of the wide blade surface, it can scoop   up what you've chopped and allow you to drop into the pans without making a messy trail of onions and garlic.  I've used this as well to slice meat. No complaints here.
This is my little kitchen engine that could! I must use my Black and Decker toaster oven everyday and trust me, it's not just for toasting bread either. I've made cakes, roasted chicken, ribs, baked smashed potatoes, muffins, and so much more.  This is also more energy efficient that using your oven. Less clean up too for a lazy person like me. :)



I highly recommend you scour stores for egg shaped bowls. The functionality is insane. Because its shape, mixing and whisking is made easier.  There is a natural spout and that makes pouring your batter into pans so easy. I got mine from Target during Easter (duh..eggs) but I'm sure they are avail anytime. They just wouldn't be in pastel colors. Bummer.

I love hybrids. Can't you tell? This combo of blender and food processor was a must for me and when I bought it a couple years ago, it was pretty expensive. I had remorse but I don't now!!! One of my most used gadget in my kitchen. Hands down! It also doesn't hurt that I have the light blue version of this Cuisinart. Makes me happy every time I make my smoothies. It's the little things hence the name of my blog. 

You're probably thinking what the heck is this? This is a small bent pan whisk. In some other countries, it's known as a french whisk. This is fab for whisking eggs and when you're making your own salad dressings. I use this for mixing everything! I've had mine for almost 10 years and the coils are still intact!! I call this my magic whisk. :)  I bought mine at www.fantes.com. I haven't seen this anywhere else so it's the only site I can recommend. What's even better is that this is less than 10 bucks!! I think I need to purchase a back up don't you think?!

I don' really understand why an electric water kettle is not popular in the States. Every other country swears by this and is a staple in their kitchens! When I lived with my parents years ago and I was just starting to get into cooking, this was one of my first purchases. It cuts time from the boiling water process by more than half. Its also great for making tea everyday. My parents got so dependent on this that they asked that I leave mine behind and just buy a new one for my place. Gladly I obliged. 

These are the only frying pans you will ever need. Trust me. Calphalon makes amazing non stick pans. They are not made of teflon which is contreversial. There's been research that teflon causes cancer so cooking with it is a no-no in my book.  These two pans are usually sold in packs. Worth the price. 

Fried eggs can be such a drag to flip. Problem solved!! OXO is the only brand I trust with this very bendable spatula or flipper or whatever its called. lol. I have two of these. So darn handy!! Check out your discount stores like Marshalls, TJ Maxx or Ross for thses. Shouldn't cost more than 7 bucks. Pick me one up too k? jk. 

Raggedy and used up. That's the why I love them! If my wooden spoons can talk. Boy, would they have stories! I can't  not include them. They are especially perfect for non stick pans. I still have the ones I bought when I was a broke college student. I think I'm gonna give them to my future son/daughter as a family heirloom. Only I would think of wooden spoons as heirloom. I guess its natural since food and cooking is such a big part of my family and friends.  Huge.

Finally, here is my first ever recipe post and hopefully not my last. This is a hybrid (there goes that word again) of many recipes I've read. It's very easy and healthy. Also, you can easily purchase the ingredients ahead of time and keep in your freezer and cupboard. Great after a long day in the office or school.

Seafood Pasta

What you will need:
- 1 pound dried pasta/1 packet. Spaghetti or linguine is best.
 - salt and pepper.  I prefer sea or kosher salt.
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced thinly. Less if you're scared of the funk more if you're nasty. Sorry. :)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 bag or 4 cups frozen seafood mix.  You should be able to find this in your local supermarket. If not, check out your asian markets. It comes in 1 pound bags.  You can also use frozen shrimp.
- white wine. Your choice but make sure it's wine good enough to drink too.
- 1 bunch of cilantro. You don't have to chop. I just tear with my hands.


1. Turn on heat to high for the pot of water to boil.  Then, add a handful of salt and packet of dried pasta. Stir to spread the love around. Follow packet instructions.
2. While pasta is boiling away, place pan (preferably one with a lid) on the stove. Add olive oil, sliced garlic, and pepper flakes. Turn on heat to medium. I almost never add garlic to hot oil because I don't like the acrid taste of burnt garlic. I want this to be mellow.
3. Once you smell the lovely scent of garlic,  you may add the seafood. It's ok if it's still a little frozen. Lovely broth will come out of it. You an also turn the heat higher to medium high.
3. Cook until no longer in frozen clumps. This can take about 5 minutes. 
4. Add a pinch of salt to the simmering seafood and broth. 
5. You may add the white wine at this point. I don't have an exact measurement because it depends on how much liquid your frozen seafood gives off. I add mo more than 1/2 cup since pasta soaks up a lot of liquid. This is your call. Don't be scared. 
6. Put the lid on the pot and let the wine and broth reduce a bit. 2-3 minutes. Make sure to take your pasta off the heat and drain. 
7. Add the pasta to the pan with the seafood and wine sauce. 
8. Season with salt and pepper.  Pepper is lovely here.
9. Garnish with cilantro and voila. 



This serves 2 hungry people and 4 if there is something else served with this deliciousness. I hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment